Advertisement

Multiscale Curious: How to buy an instrument you can't try first.

Multiscale Curious: How to buy an instrument you can't try first. In this episode, I’m going to show you some of the process I go through when I’m deciding to buy an instrument. For a while now, I’ve been interested in trying out a multiscale instrument, one with different scale lengths for each string. When this happens, the frets have to also be in different places for each string in order to be in tune and the overall result is a visually “fanned” fret orientation. There are certainly practical applications to instruments like this (balanced tension, improved ergonomics, better intonation, etc.) but I just think it looks cool! Since these instruments are typically on the rare side, the shops around me don’t have any in stock so it’s not going to be possible for me to get my hands on one physically before I make a purchase. So, this video shows some of how I do my comparison shopping online and ultimately, how I have had success finding “off brand” instruments that are still very high quality but dramatically more affordable. In this way, I’ve been able to try out a lot of interesting variations of guitars and basses without spending a lot of money. Sometimes I really like the experiments, but other times I’ll stash my more ‘radical’ purchases and only pull them out for special occasions. I’m excited to see how this adventure turns out!!

Want to support the channel? Check out our official merchandise!!




Follow us:
Instagram:


Twitter:


Important Links:
Rondo Music (where I ended up purchasing my new bass):


Andy McKee’s official website (an amazing player!):



Equipment I used to make this video:
Garage Band (audio recording):


Shotcut (video editing):


Line 6 Helix (for audio recording interface and amp/effect modeling):


iPhone (for video recording):

first.

Post a Comment

0 Comments