Advertisement

Global Entry Review Update: More Pros and Cons to Consider

Global Entry Review Update: More Pros and Cons to Consider Are you considering applying for Global Entry and weighing the pros and cons? Let's take a look at one under-discussed perk as well a couple of potential drawbacks to be aware of.

A few months back, I made a video chronicling the benefits of Global Entry and my experience using it. Since then, I’ve continued to find the service to be a lifesaver even discovering an extra perk. At the same time, I’ve heard from others who have noted some issues currently impacting the program that I think are worth mentioning. With that, let’s look at some lesser-known pros and cons of Global Entry and TSA Precheck.

We’ll start things off with an under-discussed Global Entry perk, which is the ability to utilize the NEXUS lane when returning from Canada by car

While most people likely associate Global Entry with airports, it has also been expanding to select cruise line ports. On top of that, as I learned on a relatively recent road trip to Toronto, the program includes a major benefit for the land crossing as well.

If you dive into the CBP’s site, you’ll find mention that Global Entry members can utilize the NEXUS lane when returning to the U.S. from Canada. That might sound straightforward enough, but in practice it can be a bit confusing since there is no mention of Global Entry on any of the signs — only NEXUS. Considering that the regular lane was backed up all the way over the bridge into Michigan, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t bit nervous when taking this seemingly huge shortcut. But once we reached I window, we showed our Global Entry cards, answered a couple of questions, and we were on our way. After passing the checkpoint, our arrival ETA on our phone’s map dropped by an hour.

Again, this perk is only available when reentering the U.S. from Canada and is not valid on the way into Canada. And, as I alluded to, you will need to have your Global Entry card with you in addition to your passport.

As for some of the hidden downsides, since there are fewer Global Entry interview locations than TSA Precheck ones, you may find it difficult to find a reservation time in your area

When I did my original review of Global Entry, I noted that my application took a few weeks to receive conditional approval and wondered if that was a long time. Well, as it turns out, I actually got pretty lucky. That’s because, due in part to the month-long federal government shutdown in late 2018 into early 2019, the CBP has apparently been very backed up on applications. Not only does this mean longer waits for approvals but also means a lack of available interview times after that. One friend of mine in LA said there were originally no interview times for him anywhere on the West Coast but he was eventually able to snag an interview down in San Diego. Ironically, in his case, he didn’t even really need Global Entry and was mostly seeking the TSA Precheck benefits.

Although this is mostly anecdotal, it does seem that the wait to receive Global Entry status is growing and that you may need to drive further to get an interview — unless of course you can take advantage of the program’s interview on arrival program when returning from an international trip. For those reasons, if you’re one of those torn between TSA Precheck and spending the extra $15 for Global Entry, this may be something to consider.

Finally, another note regarding TSA Precheck is that some airports won’t have their Precheck lanes open at all time

It’s hard to overstate how much I love TSA Precheck and how much it’s helped ease my stress when arriving at the airport. In fact, you could say that these experiences have spoiled me. That’s why it’s been frustrating to find that not all TSA checkpoints have Precheck lanes available. For example, I learned that ATL only offers TSA Precheck during certain hours. But perhaps the most egregious to me is that, while the South Satellite terminal at Sea-Tac’s employment of Global Entry has proven extremely useful, the checkpoint that follows doesn’t offer TSA Precheck.

Because of this, I recommend being prepared in the event you do need to go through normal security, such as having your 3-1-1 liquids accessible and ready to take out. And while it is annoying to encounter these Precheck-less examples, at least I can say that vast majority of domestic airports I’ve flown from don’t pose any issues. In other words, I wouldn’t let this deter you from joining the program.

With all that considered, I do continue to love Global Entry and would recommend it if you have any international trips in your five-year future

As someone who travels abroad at least a couple of times a year, Global Entry has been incredibly useful for me. In fact, there have already been times that have made me wonder if I would have made my connecting flight had I not been a member of the service. Therefore I’d say it’s definitely worth it if you expect to leave the country anytime soon/

Global entry,global entry review,global entry 2020,global entry review 2020,tsa precheck,tsa precheck review,tsa precheck 2020,tsa precheck review 2020,travel tips,global entry interview,global entry backlog,global entry wait time,global entry canada,traveling to canada,Global entry worth it,global entry benefits,tsa precheck worth it,tsa precheck benefits,what is global enrty,Global entry vs nexus,

Post a Comment

0 Comments