Advertisement

Things to Consider When Changing Health Plans #1 - Medications

Things to Consider When Changing Health Plans    #1 - Medications Things to Consider When Changing Health Plans
#1 - Medications

It's an unfortunate reality today, that many of us are constantly changing health plans. And while there are many reasons people switch coverage, there are a few things that are really important to keep in mind when choosing (assuming you have a choice) a new plan.

#1 is medications. For those of you, or those of us, taking specific medications, it's really important to determine whether a medication you're taking in actually covered by the new plan.

OK - I know a lot of you out there are thinking, of course the medication is covered. Well I've got some bad news for you, and the best example I have is myself. As an adult of a "certain age" and maybe not the pillar of health I'd like to be, I've had Type 2 diabetes for a number of years now. It took some trial and error to land on the best medication for me but with the help of my totally awesome endocrinologist - and I mean, who knew an endocrinologist could be so much fun!? - we found something that worked well for me.

Over the years, I've paid as little as $30/month - basically a small co-pay, but in the last few years, the plan I'm on doesn't have the same coverage. So the same medicine I need to keep my diabetes in check, a life saving medicine, costs me almost $1,000/month. And guess what - that's WITH insurance.

I know, right!?

So 3 or 4 times a year, my wife and I... well, usually my wife, drives three hours to Vancouver, BC in Canada, because I can get a 3 month supply for the price of one month here. Crazy? Maybe - but the truth is it saves us over $4000 a year.

So - before you choose a new health plan - just be sure you check to ensure the medications you need are covered - or at least have that be one of the determining factors.

Got a similar experience to share, please... misery loves company!

Medications

Post a Comment

0 Comments